|Reporting Internship (1 year)
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: May 16, 2017
Deadline: June 19, 2019
Toronto Star One-Year Reporting Internship – 2017/2018
The Toronto Star is looking for early-career journalists for our one-year reporting internship. This internship is open to college- and university-level students or fewer than five years removed from graduation who have never held a full-time, permanent staff position at a company that publishes news daily. Interns work with full-time staff in a challenging but supportive environment. All Star internships are paid, contract positions.
We cannot accommodate volunteers, short-term placements or co-op students.
One-year reporting internship
The program runs from September 2017 to September 2018.
Successful candidates will work on the breaking news desk, where they will work on a variety of stories. Journalists must be able to shoot photos and should have multimedia skills, and story pitches are encouraged by editors.
What we look for
Enthusiastic, talented, curious and intelligent journalists with a strong work ethic, positive attitude and passion for journalism who bring energy, ideas and new perspectives to their work. Strong reporting skills and the ability to work quickly and accurately are required. If you are fluent in a language other than English, please include that information in your application.
A full, unrestricted Ontario driver’s licence is required. Applicants must have the legal right to work in Canada.
- Cover letter: please include your email address, snail mail address and phone number. Make sure your contact details are on the first page
- Eight examples of your reporting
- Toronto Star intern reporters are expected to be keen observers of our city, interested in the people, places and events that make this a vibrant, complex community in which to live. In that spirit, please write us a 50-word pitch on something you’ve seen – and that others may not know about - that you think would make a great story.
- Note: Submit all requirements in one document. If part of your submission is multimedia, please be sure it is attached.
Application should demonstrate
- A range of reporting, with a strong emphasis on news coverage
- Proven ability to report thoroughly, write well, synthesize and organize information
- Multimedia experience, including social media, video, audio and photography
- Reporting experience outside school assignments and a demonstrated commitment to journalism as a career
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Life experience that contributes to your development/ability as a journalist
The deadline to submit applications is June 19, 2017 here
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. All submissions will be treated as confidential.
The Toronto Star is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform the Toronto Star of your requirements.