The Vermilion Standard
Location: Vermillion, Alberta
Posted: May 10, 2017
Deadline: June 7, 2017
Editor, Vermilion Alberta
Full time, Permanent
Competition Number WCC-17-27
The Vermilion Standard, a division of Postmedia Network Inc., is looking for an editor to guide daily coverage in this busy centre in northern Alberta.
The successful candidate must be community-minded with a focus on producing local news, compelling feature stories and eye-catching photography for the paper’s digital products and print editions. The successful applicant will be a proven leader with the ability to balance multiple tasks in a busy newsroom. Applicants must hold a valid driver’s licence, as well as their own vehicle.
Key responsibilities include:
- Setting the news agenda, assigning stories and photos
- Generating interesting story/feature ideas as well as shoot still photos.
- Engaging in energetic use of social media
- Editing local news, columns and letters to the editor
- Writing editorials and columns for the paper's opinion section
- Candidates should have a journalism degree or diploma
- Candidates must own a DSLR camera.
- Candidates should have previous experience leading a team in a newsroom
- Layout experience with Adobe InDesign is considered an essential asset
- Experience and knowledge of social media is an asset.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their resume with cover letter in one PDF file, quoting competition number WCC-17-27, to:
Closing Date: May 19th, 2017
We thank in advance all applicants for their interest. Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.