|Specialist, Digital & Multimedia Content
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posted: April 19, 2017
Deadline: May 4, 2017
Salary: $72,840 - $94,704
Travel Alberta is the tourism marketing agency of the Government of Alberta. A team of youthfully spirited adventurers lead in marketing Alberta’s authentic experiences in breathtaking landscapes around the world. Our mission: to create economic value and prosperity with compelling invitations to explore Alberta. Travel Alberta strives to empower individual passion and build inspirational leadership as ONE TEAM. If you want to be part of an award-winning organization with strong corporate values, passionate team members and a great culture, Travel Alberta is the destination for you.
Reporting to the Manager, Global Content, the primary responsibility of the position of Digital & Multimedia Content Specialist is to directly support Travel Alberta’s global content strategy. The Specialist contributes to the strategy through research, audits, gap analyses, agile content creation (editorial calendar, strategic planning, briefing, writing, editing and video creation), curation, and content lifecycle management. The Digital and Multimedia Content Specialist leads Travel Alberta’s in-house video editing from concept creation to distribution across owned channels. The Specialist oversees a team of freelance content creators (with skills varying from writing, photography to videography) coaching and ensuring assigned content is on-brand. Specialist is accountable for content budgets, contracts and invoicing for all projects as assigned. Experienced in creating video for social platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube and Snapchat, the Specialist works in conjunction with media and social team to curate and distribute timely content across owned channels. Works closely with the marketing and business development teams to support Travel Alberta’s global brand and digital marketing objectives.
Content creation, curation and owned channel distribution
- The Digital and Multimedia Content Specialist is an integral player within the Global Content Team working closely with the Consumer Marketing Team, external agencies and contractors to create compelling, relevant content for a variety of audiences.
- Responsible for day-to-day multichannel content development from ideation, to creation to distribution bringing together all elements that make a story – headlines, subheads, copy, Internet video content, and short-form social posts.
- This position requires experienced storytelling, news and multimedia engagement skills in a deadline oriented environment that required the creation of stories, lists and videos across websites and mobile apps, including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Snapchat, Twitter, Pinterest and live events in social media. Experience with creating content for Chinese social media channels - Weibo and WeChat – is a bonus.
- Possesses sharp communication skills (including giving and receiving constructive feedback), project management skills and ongoing leadership of content marketing trends in order to successfully execute projects and provide expertise.
- Facilitate fact-checking, research, edit, proofread and implement appropriate edits for ongoing projects. Proven track record of writing, re-writing and editing content.
- Ability to identify trends in social ecosystem that can be adapted into stories that drive online conversation about tourism in Alberta.
- A love of experimentation and leadership in sharing stories in new and creative ways.
- Work closely with Travel Alberta business units to understand their audience(s) and business objectives to effectively support their content requirements.
- Work closely with the contracted content creators to ensure that they understand Travel Alberta’s business objectives and brand.
- Ensure all multimedia content is on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice, and optimized for all online & offline channels.
- Experienced writer and editor, in a variety of formats including:
- Create and/or repurpose compelling and effective copy for a range of audience groups and channels, such as, but not limited to the following:
- Feature articles
- Marketing & advertising copy
- Web articles
- Blog articles
- Social media content
- E-newsletter articles
- Corporate articles
- Edit and/or proof existing copy to ensure it meets Travel Alberta editorial and brand standards.
- Oversight and administration and execution of the Travel Alberta editorial calendar.
- Ability to populate and publish content through digital publishing platforms and content management systems (ATIS, CMS, Site Core, etc.)
- Support the organization’s broad transformation to content marketing, creation and publishing.
- Leads day-to-day in-house video development for Travel Alberta.
- Ensure video/image/sound quality, size and placement meet requirements for a variety of formats from social platforms to presentations.
- Ability to edit video, log, archive and organize footage and other various tasks related to production
- Proven ability to create compelling and sharable web videos of all types
- Discover and create new recurring video formats on Facebook, Facebook Live and other social media platforms.
- Experience behind a camera and knowledge of sound design a must.
- Proficient with graphics software such as After Effects, Illustrator or Photoshop
- Proficient with video editing software such as in Adobe Premiere Pro, Avid or Final Cut Pro.
- Ability to generate and manipulate graphic images, animations, sound text and video into consolidated and seamless multimedia programs.
- Ability to produce creative, fast videos designed to share in social media with global audience in mind
- Manage the invoicing process with the contract videographers and Finance team
Budget Accountability and Reporting
- Collaborate with industry partners and Travel Alberta team members on messaging/strategy, content creation and including photo and video production with Alberta-based creators.
- Maintain familiarity with Travel Alberta’s key experiences and destinations. Remain up to date on product changes and new offerings. Ensure regular collaboration with Alberta DMOs and key industry partners who are active in travel media relations, ensuring solid teamwork and messaging.
- Liaise with tourism industry partners to gather assets and share best practices. Open lines of communication when working on projects that impact their businesses (e.g., Travel Planner content).
- Working with Industry Development team on content activations, support and training opportunities for industry where required.
- Supporting industry with counsel and suggested tactical execution of content programs to best leverage experiences, events and stories throughout the Province.
- Responsible for sharing content successes with industry who worked with Travel Alberta on the content initiative.
Documentation and Training
- Accountable for content budgets for all projects as required
- Creating PAS documents for content projects. Completing appropriate budget change forms as required and accruals.
- Managing and maintaining an up to date and accurate working budget for content projects which fall under the portfolio from start of project through to close of project and evaluation.
- Responsible for submitting expenses in a timely manner
- Administration of a budget where the position is responsible for tracking and/or reconciling expenses; assists in forecasting and developing a budget
- Management of a budget where the position is responsible for forecasting, developing, and approving a budget
- Collaborate to establish best practices policy and governance documents
- Train and regularly update Content Creators on content development best practices (including orientation and refresher sessions).
- Assist with periodic or on-demand reports
- University Degree in Journalism, Media Arts, Interactive Arts, Information Design, Marketing, or Business Communication.
- Minimum of 5 years in digital and multimedia content creation or publishing environment including video, audio and written is an absolute requirement.
- Exceptional communication, copywriting and editing skills
- A solid understanding of video editing with the ability to create video content under pressure.
- Must understand the challenges and best practices involved in optimizing content for online (social, web), and offline marketing and communication channels.
- An up-to-date understanding of content management and marketing & communication principles and can simultaneously balance multiple needs, expectations, stakeholders and deadlines, and a commitment to lifelong, independent learning
- Must be a skilled digital and multimedia content developer including video – ability to edit and bring a story together across all multi-media channels.
- Experience in project management, horizontal collaboration and evaluating and measuring the implementation of content strategy using analytics against KPIs.
- Video production – creative and editing - Video and audio production and editing skills using Final Cut Pro and/or Adobe Premiere and related graphics and audio software (i.e. iMovie, Photoshop, etc.). Experience in motion graphics and design a plus
- Copywriting and editing: B2C and B2B
- Publishing: print and online, familiarity with publishing software, i.e. Site core, SharePoint, MS tools, customized CMS, workflow tools
- Multimedia: print, web, social, video, photography
- Marketing: destination marketing, brand marketing; SEO and SEM a plus
- Agency: experience working on multiple accounts with multiple vendors
- Digitally savvy proficient to create and edit posts, upload and manipulate images and other media assets
- Have knowledge of SEO and Google Analytics
- Social media experience with track-record of creating content for distribution across key channels including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Snapchat, etc. Strong passion and experience with social media
- Understanding and appreciation of how all digital platforms can work together to drive engagement
- Experience in newsroom environment
- Knowledge of marketing channel optimization, segmentation and localization of content as it relates to the implementation of brand and market strategies.
- Knowledge and curiosity of digital publishing and platforms. A passion for new technology and usage of those tools for content sharing.
- Strong budgetary skills, ability to manage project costs, revenue and variances in accordance with approved budgets. Experience with the development of project timelines, milestones, budget reports, technical requirements.
- Comfortable in work environment with a high degree of ambivalence and change.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure to meet deadlines.
- An understanding of current trends in content marketing, a strong foundation in marketing principles and a focus on improving services for industry stakeholders is considered an asset.
- Motivated to expand and use technical knowledge or to distribute work-related knowledge to others.
- Knowledge of the tourism industry and the Alberta government.
- Exceptional communications skills, combined with the ability to work with people at all levels of an organization;
- Understanding of and allegiance to fact-checking guidelines
- Write display copy (headlines, decks, captions, etc.). Utilize appropriate story-telling tools to convey information including pictures, videos, infographics, photo galleries, etc. Embed audio, video and image files. Calibrate content before publication to enrich the reading experience. Select images that best depict the story
- Demonstrated leadership including experience working with technical teams’
- Ability to work with Travel Alberta’s language translation agency.
- Extensive experience leading, coaching and managing external contractors, such as freelance writers and videographers;
- Ability to maintain a high level of independence, with minimal day-to-day supervision
This position is based in Calgary, Alberta
Domestic and international travel is required
Employment status: Full Time
Salary: $72,840 - $94,704 per annum
This position offers an excellent benefits package with SunLife Financial, including extended health and dental coverage, life insurance, travel insurance, long term disability and a flexible spending account. This individual will also participate in a defined benefit plan with the Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP), have free and confidential access to Sun Life’s RightDirections Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and be a part of Travel Alberta’s learning and development program, which includes up to 100% reimbursement to further education.
Since becoming a Crown corporation in 2009, Travel Alberta has been recognized with more than 50 awards for brand and marketing and excellence.
Closing Date: May 4, 2017
If you have the qualifications to succeed in this role, submit a cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - resume and your salary expectations, with the title in the subject line of your email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If applicable, please indicate the name of the Travel Alberta Team Member who referred you to this role.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Any personal information submitted will be managed with the strictest of confidentiality.
#400, 1601 9th Avenue SE
Tel: (403) 648-1027
Web address: http://industry.travelalberta.com