DailyXtra/Pink Triangle Press
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: April 17, 2017
Deadline: April 30, 2017
Founded in 1971 to advance the struggle for sexual liberation, Pink Triangle Press is Canada’s leading LGBT media organization. We publish DailyXtra.com, DailyXtraTravel.com, and we run the gay adult dating website Squirt.org .
We believe in flexibility, and the celebration of individuality here at PTP - and we think our organizational culture reflects that! We have a casual dress code, a friendly social atmosphere, and where the position permits we have flexible hours. We believe in being good at what we do, and working hard – but that fun can be had along the way. We have an attractive compensation package including 100% company-paid benefits, an Employee and Family Assistance Program, and a matched pension plan.
Come Work With Us
Daily Xtra’s video department is seeking a full-time Chase Producer/Reporter to join our team in the Toronto office.
In this position you will be working closely with the digital journalism team creating a balanced mix of content that maximizes engagement and furthers the mission and the strategic goals of our organization. responsible for assigning, editing and posting content, and creating original pieces of your own.
Toward this end, you will research, chase produce and write scripts, while assisting the Senior Video Producer in organizing, planning and executing the creation of video stories. You will also assist in editing text and multimedia content for publication on Daily Xtra, our social media channels and 3rd party distribution networks.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Strong editorial news judgment and knowledge of ethics, practices and standards; understanding of copyright, libel and obscenity laws; research and investigative journalism skills
- An ability to write accurate, concise and engaging scripts for short form videos; explainers, animated infographics, text on video, video news reports
- Strong interview skills
- A strong sense of what makes a video story compelling and what inspires people to share those stories.
- A keen eye for visual detail and design, especially for video
- Knowledge of the current video landscape online: you avidly consume and understand online visual news media and what works in the new age of digital journalism
- Text editing and writing skills: substantive editing; accuracy and fact-checking; grammar, spelling, punctuation and syntax; adherence to style; familiarity with Canadian Press style
- Basic videography, photography, camera skills
- An ability to assess and react to rapidly changing situations in the field on shoots
- Organization, planning and time management skills: you are well organized, flexible, quick; able to multitask and juggle multiple, deadline-driven tasks; detail oriented; effective and efficient when participating in meetings
- Knowledge of LGBT communities, sexual politics and cultures
- An ability to thrive in a collaborative work environment: you maintain a positive and inspiring attitude and a sense of humour in a fast-paced, deadline-driven workplace
- An ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
Additionally, you will have skills and experience in some or all of the following:
- At least two years experience working in a journalism environment
- Graphic design skills, including creation of infographics
- Video editing skills; Adobe Premier and Photoshop experience
- Fluency in multiple social media platforms: you are a native user of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and others, with a proven social media presence and an understanding of story sharing patterns
- Social media skills: promote content; execute audience- and traffic-building and reader engagement tactics, as required
- Skills in social media content generation: memes, infographics, animated gifs, video, surveys, quizzes; content appropriate to medium
- Knowledge of web metrics; experience using Google Analytics, SEO, etc
- Librarian-like research and information storage and retrieval skills
- Editorial training skills: able to train, coach and manage freelance videographers and editorial writers and to help them achieve excellence in content production
- Some knowledge of advertising and its relationship with editorial (specifically native advertising and Sponsored advertising)
- Knowledge of Pink Triangle Press’ history, mission and role within the national and local communities
If this job sounds like it's for you, please apply!
PTP is committed to Employment Equity, and to providing a fair and equitable work environment. We encourage applications from women, Aboriginal people, those living with disabilities, and people who are visible minorities. We are a trans-inclusive organization.
PTP is also committed to ensuring accessible services and communications to individuals with disabilities. Once an applicant has been selected for an interview, requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process. Applicants should make their accommodation needs known when contacted.
Interested candidates should send a resume, clippings and cover letter - stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board - to:
DailyXtra/Pink Triangle Press
2 Carlton Street, Suite 1600
Tel: (416) 644-5215
Web address: http://www.dailyxtra.com