|Digital Media Producer
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posted: March 22, 2017
Deadline: April 22, 2017
Salary: $55,644.16 - $69,927
As the technological extension of Ontario’s public education system, TVO’s vision is to create a better world through the power of learning.
TVO provides learning opportunities for Ontarians through innovative educational products, in-depth current affairs, groundbreaking documentaries, and award-winning TVOKids resources both inside and outside the classroom. TVO is funded primarily by the Province of Ontario and is a registered charity supported by sponsors and thousands of donors. For more information, visit tvo.org.
The Digital Media Producer produces daily editorial content as a member of the Current Affairs digital team, and helps ensure the quality, accuracy and consistency of tone of this department’s work, within editorial and brand guidelines and to the highest standards of journalistic and technical excellence.
The ideal candidate will bring finely honed editorial judgment, top-notch reporting and storytelling ability, multi-platform skills and experience working in a team in a daily online news environment. Familiarity with emerging technology and a thorough knowledge of current trends and innovations in digital media are required.
Under the overall responsibility of the Executive Producer, Digital, the Digital Media Producer pitches and creates daily content and longer-term editorial projects, and is part of a cross-functional digital team. The person in this role helps to ensure that all digital editorial projects are delivered on time and within scope while adhering to TVO’s standards and ethics. The Digital Media Producer works with the Social Media Specialist to share and promote Current Affairs and Documentaries content (both current and from the archive), ensures that website content complies with the Access for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), and works collaboratively with broadcast and documentary teams to ensure seamless execution of cross-department, multi-platform content. The Digital Media Producer will also assist broadcast and documentary teams in generating story ideas, including making suggestions for interviews and establishing contacts.
- Research, write and edit current affairs coverage; co-ordinate with freelancers; write and edit display copy; create, select and edit photos, graphics, video and audio
- Plan, produce and consult on videos; direct interviews in the studio or in the field as needed
- Develop, organize and present innovative approaches to generate content quickly in response to emerging current affairs issues
- Respond to peak audience periods on various platforms – digital, broadcast, social media – with content tailored for each platform
- Post editorial content on TVO.org using a Drupal-based CMS
- Update and curate content on any and all Current Affairs and Documentaries homepages
- Ensure the proper and accurate clearance of all material used on the site, in collaboration with copyright clearance officers or others
- Co-ordinate with other departments in matters relating to site content
- Work with colleagues and supervisors to ensure that the editorial process is efficient and productive
- Build a pool of reliable sources and contributors
- Monitor social media in real time and use it to promote content and engage audiences
- Employ SEO and social media best practices
- Use Siteimprove monitoring software to ensure AODA compliance of all website content
Other tasks as required:
- Perform duties of all lower classifications
- Perform on and/or off camera
Facility with Drupal-based
or equivalent content management systems
- University or college graduate, preferably in the
liberal arts or journalism
- 4+ years’ work experience in daily online journalism
- Strong editorial judgment and cross-platform
- Deep knowledge of current affairs and familiarity with
documentaries as a journalistic form
- Advanced video and audio recording and editing skills
- Deep understanding of how videos and other content are
shared and consumed on broadcast, digital, social and mobile platforms
- Superior command of platform-specific digital
storytelling and multimedia presentation techniques
- Must be able to establish priorities and work
effectively under pressure to meet tight and shifting deadlines, and to
work collaboratively and effectively within a team environment
- Strong understanding of digital file formats and how to
gather and edit media such as video, audio and photos
- Expertise with software such as Final Cut Pro, Avid,
and Adobe Creative Suite, in particular Premiere Pro
- Outstanding analytical and communication skills and
proficiency in Canadian Press style
- A thorough and strategic understanding of social media,
particularly Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube, as well as
demonstrated ease with these platforms and others (large online following
would be a plus)
- Solid understanding of SEO best practices, including
headline writing and file structure with a good grasp of essential HTML
- Strong initiative and demonstrated ability to promote
collaboration with team members and other TVO departments
- Superior interpersonal and negotiating skills, coupled
with the proven ability to communicate to TVO’s various audiences and
- Knowledgeable about digital asset management and
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a
current resume by the stated date at 5:00 p.m.
information about TVO please check out our website at TVO.org to access all of our web
TVO is an equal
opportunity employer and will endeavour to accommodate job applicants with
disabilities through the Talent and Engagement office. Upon request, all job
postings will be made available in alternative format.
TVO is committed to
achieve a skilled workforce reflective of the population of Ontario.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those
candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.